Tel: 01283 576080

Frequently Asked Questions

Should you have any questions or wish to order one of our products without going through the on-line order process please do not hesitate to contact us on 01283 576080.

• When do I need an extra double pulley? When you are positioning your airer away from the wall. The extra pulley will keep the rope out of the way keeping it close to the ceiling and providing a good angle down the wall to the cleat. Please see diagram on assembly instructions.
  • What advantage is there of a hanging airer over a free standing airer? The ceiling mounted hanging airer utilises the warmth of the ceiling void to quickly dry clothes. It is a very robust drying rack which won’t topple over like the flimsy metal airers if accidentally knocked. It can be kept completely out of the way when not in use.
  • Can I mount a pulley airer on a sloping ceiling? Yes, Clothesmaid airers are ideal for this as both ropes can be set to different lengths so the drying rack remains level.
  • How do Rubber Grippers help? These prevent your wooden slats from sliding. Available in black only. See our Spares/Accessories page.
  • How can I locate hidden ceiling joists? By gently tapping the ceiling with the handle of a screwdriver a hollow sound is heard where there is no joist. When this changes to a solid sound this should be where the joist is. Use a small pin if necessary to confirm. Ceiling joists are normally evenly spaced.
  • Where can I get replacement cast iron ceiling pulleys? Clothesmaid supply quality cast iron, powder coated pulleys with either cast wheels or nylon wheels in a range of colours. See our Spares/Accessories page.
  • What is the width of the Six clothes airer? This is a generous 570mm wide. This top selling drying rack in its most popular length of 1.8m, gives 10.8m of indoor hanging space - longer than many washing lines!
  • Why are chrome plated “S” Hooks useful with my hanging airer? These are popular for hanging small clothing items and for drying items such as herbs and flowers. Some of our customers buy a small airer to hang kitchen utensils using the “S”hooks. They also come as standard with our Pot Rack and Pot Shelf for hanging kitchen utensils.
  • What sort of wood are the clothing slats made from? Our high quality wooden slats are made only from Grade 1 Scandinavian Pine finished to a high standard. We source, cut to size and finish these by hand. If you thinking of buying from a competitor its worth checking the quality?
  • Where can I buy jute rope for a ceiling mounted clothes airer? Clothesmaid stock 10m and 15m lengths of quality biodegradable Jute rope available for immediate delivery. See our Spares/Accessories page.
  • What is the width of the Clothesmaid ceiling airer? This is 385mm wide and our top of the range airer. Its traditional Victorian design comes in a choice of black or white with matching cast iron pulleys, cleat hook and 10m of high quality cotton sash cord. Everything you need including fixings to get your hanging airer system operating and drying clothes in no time!
  • Why are the wooden slats untreated? This is to prevent any staining or discolouration of clothing. This is the traditional and tried and tested finish and will not stain or snag your clothes. Sometimes with prolonged dampness the slats can bend a little but this will not affect their performance. We manufacture and hand finish all our slats which are the best quality.
  • I have a hanging clothes airer that’s 3m in length but needs new slats? We can supply bespoke lengths, hand finished to customer’s requirements. Please call for a quote.
  • Is it easy to hang a clothes drying rack? Yes, we provide full assembly instructions with our products and these can also be found on our website:assembly instructions.
  • What clearance height do I need for Pulley airers? When fully hoisted to the ceiling our space saving Popular model only needs 20cm clearance to avoid a door. The Clothesmaid needs 26cm and the Six needs just 24.5cm clearance.
  • What lengths of clothes airers do Clothesmaid supply? We provide lengths of 0.9m, 1.2m, 1.5m, 1.8m, 2.1m and 2.4m. We can also supply custom lengths to customer requirements.
  • Where can I get replacement cast iron rackends? Clothesmaid supply solid cast iron, powder coated rackends for durability in a range of colours. See ourSpares/Accessories page.
  • What length are the chains on the Pot Shelf? The 4 strong chains are 24 inches or 60cm long providing ample height for pots and pans.
  • Can traditional ceiling airers save you money? Using a traditional airer will allow you to dry your clothes without the need for a tumble dryer. Hang you washing machine load overnight and they will be dry by the morning. See our Money Sense page for more details.
  • What is the width of the Popular pulley airer? This is only 355mm wide. This space saving drying rack has a low profile so when fully retracted takes up only 8 inches (20cm) of space in the ceiling void.
  • Where can I buy cotton cord for pulley airers? Clothesmaid stock 10m and 15m lengths of quality cotton sash rope available for immediate delivery. See our Spares/Accessories page.
  • Why would I need a 15m cord? This is useful when you are positioning the clothes airer away from the wall or if you have high ceilings. In this case it’s advisable to buy an additional double pulley. See diagram on assembly instructions.
  • I have an old Victorian pulley airer that needs new wooden slats. Will yours fit? Yes, Clothesmaid have supplied many customers with replacement slats. It’s always best to check with us. Our high quality hand finished slats are 14mm x 33mm but oval shaped so they fit most cast rackends. See our Spares/Accessories page.
  • Why should I buy a ceiling airer from Clothesmaid? If you value quality like us then you are getting the best quality materials. There are cheaper ones on the market but ask them if they are providing Grade 1 Scandinavian Pine for the slats, best quality cords and solid cast iron fittings that are powdered coating for durability. We are meticulous about quality sourcing our materials from long established British companies and confident that our products will last a lifetime.

We hope that we have covered the questions that are frequently asked but if have any other queries then please feel free to call us on 01283 576080 or email sales@clothesmaid.com.